This course bridges the gap for the 'certified freediver' allowing them to grow as a safe and competent freediver, adapting to safe, efficient and conscientious Freedive-Harvesting and Spearfishing methods and practices.
Freediving within their certification standards, students will be taught the fundamentals of safe Freedive-Harvesting, band-powered device handling as well as the basics of Ethical Freedive-Harvesting and Local Rules and Regulations.
Focus of instructional material in BD's Freedive-Harvesting Courses will be on:
- Proper safety practices and procedures for freedive-harvesting and spearfishing as a safe-buddy system
- Proper execution of safe-buddy system protocols
- Classroom Knowledge and Development and In-water skill development covering such topics as: handling of band powered devices, safe freediving practices while harvesting, line management, signals & communication, risk management and how to navigate the basic rules & regulation of local law.
- Freedive-harvesting/spearfishing equipment use, management and maintenance. Learn the benefits specific freedive-harvesting/spearfishing equipment: why it works, how to maximize it's potential and how to keep your gear working for you.
*Freediver Certification: Student/Client must have completed a minimum of the PFI Freediver Level Certification (or equivalent) or be enrolled in course directly preceding the BD Freedive-Harvesting/Spearfishing course.
- Good bill of health and fitness - (see attached medical form)
- 19 years of age minimum
- *Note: If your response to any of the medical form questions is 'YES', you will require a doctors signature of approval to participate in any Bottom Dwellers & Performance Freediving International's courses. Please contact Bottom Dwellers if you have any questions about the medical form.
Bottom Dwellers' Freedive-Harvesting Courses will be held between a classroom environment, confined water sessions and open water sessions. For up to date information on these locations check out the course details for the specific course or package you wish to attend.
- 1-1.5 day courses (specific courses and locations vary depending on scheduling, be sure to consult the specific course you are interested in taking for most up to date details)
- Over the course you will have in some shape or form:
- 1 classroom session (total of 3 hours)
- 1 confined water session (total of 2 hours)
- 1 open water session (total of 2 hours)
As part of the instruction for Bottom Dwellers' Freedive-Harvesting and Spearfishing courses, you will learn to select, manage and maintain your personal freediving equipment as well as equipment provided by Bottom Dwellers Freediving.
The Freedive-Harvesting Course requires each student to have in their possession for the course:
- Full Wetsuit (5-7mm for cold-water locations, with a strong recommendation of a 7mm freediving suit or at a minimum 5mm open-cell freediving suit. Open water sessions are long and the cold can affect your performance and experience in the course)
- Mask & Snorkel
- Weight-Belt and weights
- Dive Knife
- Timing device or Dive Computer
- Dive Light (recommended, but not required)
Students will be provided the privilege of learning to use band-powered devices to the limits of their abilities and certifications within the course setting. The band-powered devices used will be provided by Bottom Dwellers and come as a speargun or pole-spear, float line and float assembly to Bottom Dwellers Standards.
*If Freediver Certification is not achieved during the PFI Freediver Course preceding the Freedive-Harvesting Course, the student will be limited in their use of band-powered devices as to their abilities for creating a safe instructional and learning environment.
COST: $255 plus applicable taxes.
Included in the cost of the course is:
- Personalized instruction from a highly trained freediving professional and marine harvesting enthusiast.
- 1 instructor/assistant : 4 student divers ratio. Bottom Dwellers offers a very small class ratio to maximize the experience of its students and allow for less time between dives during its open water sessions. (if this ratio changes for a specific course it will be noted and price adjusted accordingly)
- Classroom, Confined Water and Open-Water instruction
REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT DETAILS
To secure your spot in a course, Bottom Dwellers must receive your registration information and either a 50% deposit or full payment for the course. Any outstanding course balance is due by the start of the course. To see our current available courses, follow the link below.
'DAN's Student Medical Expense Coverage' DOES NOT apply to Bottom Dwellers' Freedive-Harvesting Courses or any other non-PFI branded courses offered by Bottom Dwellers*