PFI Freediver course
If you're looking to take your freediving to the next level; wanting to learn to freedive safely and become a good 'Safe Buddy' diver; wanting to dive deeper and have longer breath holds; or simply wanting to learn about the basics and foundations of good, safe freediving practices. The PFI Freediver level course is for you.
In this course you will be taught the fundamental building blocks of Freediving. You will learn freediving skills and techniques and experience first hand how these will benefit you within an aquatic environment. You will learn about the physics and physiology of freediving and how your body adapts to the aquatic environment. The PFI Freediver course will allow you to reach depths of up 20m/66' deep during our open water sessions. In confined water sessions the PFI Freediver course will also have you explore and practice Static Apnea with the goal of increasing your breath-hold capabilities and learning to better manage your body for freediving.
Focus of instructional material in the PFI Freediver course will be on:
• Proper Safety Practices and Procedures
• Proper Surface prep and Recovery Breathing Techniques for Freediving and Snorkelling
• Open-water and Confined-water skills development. Take what you learn in the classroom to the pool, and from the pool to the ocean. Learn and improve proper freediving techniques and skills. Including, but not limited to: safety procedures, breathing techniques, entry techniques, constant weight and free immersion techniques, equalization techniques, emergency procedures ...
• Learn about proper freediving equipment: why it works and how to maintain it.
Performance Freediving International Courses offered by Bottom Dwellers Freediving provide the students within its courses with 'DAN's Student Medical Expense Coverage'.
Swimming or snorkeling experience
- Good bill of health and fitness - (see attached medical form)
- 19 years of age minimum
- 12-19 years of age with guardian permission (subject to discretion of Bottom Dwellers)
- *Note: If your response to any of the medical form questions is 'YES', you will require a doctors signature of approval to participate in any Bottom Dwellers & Performance Freediving International's courses. Please contact Bottom Dwellers if you have any questions about the medical form.
Bottom Dwellers Courses will be held between local pool facilities for class and pool sessions and an open water dive site for open water sessions. For up to date information on these locations check out the course details for the specific class you wish to attend.
- ~2.5 days (specific courses and locations vary depending on scheduling, be sure to consult the specific course you are interested in taking for specific details)
- Over the 2.5 days your course will have in some shape or form:
- 2 classroom sessions (total of 6 hours)
- 2 confined water sessions (total of 6* hours)
- 2 open water session (total of 5 hours)
- ***Bottom Dwellers offers 1 additional hour of confined-water session time to the standard PFI Freediver course allowing more time to focus on entries to benefit your open-water sessions and to assure completing 'Dynamic Apnea' for Pool-Only certification. *Pool location may very pool time from 6 hours to 5 hours depending on the course.***
- Example of a typical Bottom Dwellers' PFI Freediver course schedule and format
- Friday evening; 5-8pm class
- Saturday; 8:30am-11:30am class - 1230-630 pool (2 pool sessions with a 15-30 minute break for water and light snacks pending on running time)
- Sunday; 8am-11 am open water / 1 pm - 4 pm open water (Timings will vary between dives on classes ability and comfort levels)
As part of the instruction of the PFI Freediver courses, you will learn to select, manage and maintain your personal freediving equipment. The PFI Freediver level course requires each student to have in their possession for the course:
- PFI Freediver Course book (Provided by instructor prior to course)
- Full Wetsuit (5-7mm for cold-water locations, with a strong recommendation of a 7mm freediving suit or at a minimum 5mm open-cell freediving suit. Open water sessions are long and the cold can affect your performance and experience in the course)
- Mask & Snorkel
- Weight-Belt and weights
- Timing device or Dive Computer
COST: $595 plus applicable taxes.
Included in the cost of the course is:
- Personalized instruction from a highly trained freediving professional
- 1 instructor/assistant : 4 student divers ratio. Bottom Dwellers offers a very small class ratio to maximize the experience of its students and allow for less time between dives during its open water sessions. (if this ratio changes for a specific course it will be noted and price adjusted accordingly)
- PFI Freediver student manual & workbook
- Pool & Classroom sessions and Open-Water instruction
- Certification card
- Bottom Dwellers T-shirt
REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT DETAILS
To secure your spot in a course, Bottom Dwellers must receive your registration information and either a 50% deposit or full payment for the course. Any outstanding course balance is due by the start of the course. To see our current available courses, follow the link below.